Arthritis is a condition that occurs due to inflammation in the joints of our hands, thumb, or wrists. Arthritis is a painful condition that causes pain and stiffness within the joints and worsens with age. Arthritis is diagnosed with a comprehensive exam including imaging such as X-rays and MRI’s.
Common Types and Locations:
- Osteoarthritis is an inflammatory arthritis that affects joints and worsens with age.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis is also inflammatory arthritis that occurs when the immune system attacks the lining of the joints.
- Basal Joint (or 1st CMC) Arthritis is inflammation at the base of the thumb where the joint meets the wrist.
- Distal Inter-Phalangeal Joint (DIPJ) Arthritis occurs in the joints closest to the fingertips.
- Metacarpophalangeal (MCP) or Proximal Inter-Phalangeal Joint (PIPJ) Arthritis occurs in the base or middle joints of the fingers.
- Joint Pain and Aches
- Decreased Range of Motion
- Medications to reduce pain and inflmmation
- Steroid Injections
- Braces or Splints to immobilize the affected joint(s)
- Surgery (used if conservative treatments aren’t effective or if the severity of the arthritis is too great for conservative options).
CMC Suspension Arthroplasty is the procedure utilized to relieve arthritic pain at the base of the thumbs.
DIPJ (Distal Inter-Phalangeal Joint) Fusion is the procedure utilized to resolve arthritic pain within the joints of finger joints by fusing or pinning the finger to stop all joint movement, thus relieving joint pain permanently.
MCP (Metacarpophalangeal) / PIPJ (Proximal-Interphalangeal Joint) Arthroplasty is a joint-replacement procedure utilized to relieve various types of arthritis within the MCP and PIP joints.
Total Wrist Replacement (Wrist Arthroplasty) is the procedure utilized in patients who have wrist pain and arthritis that’s not resolved with conservation treatments.
Please contact our office if you are tired of living with arthritis pain and would like customized treatment options. 844-919-4263